Wednesday 13 May 2009

Where were you?

As Charles and Di got married, I was a youngster fielding at fine leg and then batting at No. 11 for the Miner's Welfare senior team and trying to save a draw. I got out. During Live Aid I was playing cricket in my mate's back garden. Though, strangely enough, I'm scarred by a memory of Phil Collins' appearance, which I glimpsed during a break in the game. When England lost to Germany on penalties in the 1990 World Cup, I missed it because of a band rehearsal. And I'm ashamed to say that I missed the anti-war marches in Glasgow in 2003 because I had a hangover. To be fair, that was a really bad hangover.

The much-hyped and in-form Phil Hughes will be in town tomorrow (http://www.middlesexccc.com/news-detail.asp?NewsID=1635), as Scotland take on Middlesex in the Friend's Provident Trophy. Better than that, he's actually playing within a 10 minute walk of my house. And the weather forecast looks OK ...

So where will I be when this wunderkind gets to wield the bat? At work.

Is he that good? Is this going to be a memorable miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment